Thursday, May 01, 2008

Easy Come, Easy Go

Brad's neighbor went to Tempe to do Ironman Arizona this year. The day before the race he went to the race site for the practice swim. He climbed down the stairs into the water but didn't realize there was a sudden drop-off. He slipped and fell on to the railing, dislocating his shoulder and tearing a tendon and had to go into surgery. He never made it to the starting line.

He trained, he dieted, he did everything he needed to do to prepare for the biggest race of his life and then *poof*. All gone. Not that it makes me worried.

5 Comments:

Blogger SWTrigal said...

Now THAT is some pretty bad luck. I try to be really careful before a race, wash my hands extra, stay away from sick people, etc...that sounds like a freak accident. I hope he is OK and can do another one sometime!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

As "the neighbor" I can speak to his recovery - he's out of surgery and into rehab, and is working up his training schedule for a fall Ironman.

He was pretty pragmatic about the whole thing - but I steered clear of him for a week or so, remembering how angry I was when I hurt myself two weeks before my first marathon.

8:39 AM  
Blogger monica said...

ok, that just scared the crap outta me!!!

4:37 PM  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

And let me just guess how much of his nearly $500 entry fee got refunded, or if they provided a deferral, even with an iron-clad medical rationale preventing him from participating....

Zero, right?

6:30 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

I will say he's not unhappy with the way things were handled by the race organizers.

But this story is really more about the horror than any possible happy ending, though - don't you think?

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home