Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Neoprene Wedgie

I went shopping for wetsuits again - ALONE.

Each suit is probably a 10-15 minute ordeal to select a size, squeeze into it, and then find out all the reasons why it doesn't fit. There were two salespeople in the store, and then another customer came in. He was a large Australian guy who obviously knew the salesguys- he was telling them about the Megathon he did the day before, swimming across the Pacific and killing a dozen wallabies with his teeth.

I came out of the changing room wearing suit #2, and the salesguys start picking and prodding at me trying to see how it fits. As it turns out, I didn't have it pulled up far enough. The Australian comes over and says "ya need to be wearin' it up, mate". He then goes behind me and grabs onto the suit - one hand on my lower back, one hand reaching around to my lower front (not-quite-inappropriately but still beyond my comfort level)- and just lifts me off the ground like a ragdoll. He does a little shaking thing and then I drop about 2 inches inside the suit. It helped, but I still didn't fit in the suit properly.

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with strangers coming up behind me and tossing me around while I'm wearing rubber suits.

Read about my first wetsuit-buying adventure: Puny Gurly Man

(thanks to Brad for coining the phrase "neoprene wedgie")

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cant wait to try on tri wet suits. A few years ago I almost had a heartattach trying on scuba suits. There has got to be a better way. I must have lost two pounds in sweat getting in and out of those things.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should try donning a used wetsuit for renting while you scuba - a hastle to try on, and you get that smell. Peeyew!

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i remerber my #1 wedgie i was 13. i got the worst wedgie every.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my was hanged up on top of my school roof. that happen cause i was jumping out of a jet to go to school. so i got stuck on a sorp piont & i saw stuck .every one saw me & laugh at me. then i stared getting wedgies all the time.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home