Sunday, May 01, 2005

How I Got Started

I blame Devo.

My boss is a big fan of the band, and he heard about the "Run Hit Wonder", a 5k/10k run through Los Angeles which features 80s bands playing along the route, followed by a concert by Devo. He figured it was a good way to see the band but didn't want to go alone so he told me "if you value your job, you'll do it too." Or something like that. I had never really done anything athletic at all before, but I was curious to see A Flock of Seagulls so I joined him. We survived, and then that 5k led to some 10ks, then there was a half-marathon. During my training I pulled my Achilles tendon. Ouch. Major ouch. I was fortunate that I didn't actually need surgery, but I had to stop running completely for about 4-6 weeks. My boss did the half-marathon (way to go!) and I had to sit it out.

I wanted to have SOME sort of goal to reach for, and to be honest trying again for the half-marathon frightened me. I don't trust myself enough that I won't injure myself again, maybe even worse, so I want to stay away from the long-distance runs. The sprint triathlon seemed like a good way to try something more challenging than a 10k, but without the risk of injury of the half-marathon. Well, except for the drowning part. And the getting-hit-by-a-car part.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home