Friday, October 05, 2007

I'm a Fat Ugly Pig and No One Will Ever Love Me

When I signed up for Coeur d'Alene, I bought Joe Friel's Training Diary to track my workouts and progress. Since then, I have trained for and successfully completed two triathlons and a half marathon. I've also gained 3 pounds. I know, I know, maybe that doesn't sound like a lot, but I can see it and feel it. When I run, even if I maintain a decent pace I still FEEL sluggish and off. And truth be told, although I never had a good stomach my belly has been extra-squishy lately.

Every afternoon, I have a Mountain Dew and a small bag of pretzels. Been having them for years. OK, technically they're cheese-filled pretzel sandwiches but I deserve them. After I had my snack today, someone told me that there was chocolate cake in the kitchen. Now that's just not fair. If there is chocolate cake nearby, I'm going to have a piece. And not a small piece. Why? Because it's yummy, that's why. I was supposed to do a run after work tonight, but between the pretzels and the cake I just wasn't feeling very athletic.

I'm not quite sure where the extra weight is coming from. Some people might say it's related to the candy jars and cake at work and the margaritas in Vegas but that's just crazy talk. Between the weight gain and my slow race times this summer, I feel like I'm moving backwards in my training and it has me bummed. I think I'll go get some cake; that always makes me feel better.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joy | Love | Chaos said...

I bet it's the book that's to blame. It's probably about 3 lbs.

Here's my suggestion. Put it down occasionally. You know, like on your desk or in the living room. Weigh yourself without it and see if that helps.

Glad to help.

:p

5:25 AM  
Blogger Duane said...

I'm not preaching at you (I'm still at 386) but my co-worked shared this with me and thought maybe you would like it:
It mostly makes me THINK about what I am eating, and it helps me get through the times that I would normally rationalize my way into eating cakes, donuts, icecream, muffins, etc. I used to use the phrase “but I deserve that _______(insert thing) because I ________________(worked out extra hard, been really “good” lately). It’s all bullshit. It’s all excuses. And really what you find out is that you DON’T need the sweets or whatever it is that you are wanting. It hurts at the moment when you really want it, but later there is no guilt or regret. I love that part the best.
Don't know if that is an encouragement or not, but she sure made me think about my eating! Good luck! Look forward to meeting you at CDA!

8:19 PM  
Blogger MtngirlinCali said...

The world is a cruel place. Somehow the whole calories in = calories out rule gets distorted when we think we deserve a little more than we earn. I bet if you substituted a pretzel for the cheese-filled sandwiches for the next month, you'd gain some headway. You'll be pissed at first that you have to do without because you are an athlete, but then you'll get over yourself, drop a pound, and then get real cocky and start on that Mountain Dew.

At any rate, if it's any consolation, you do look thin in your photos and nobody would be any wiser that you ate a piece of cake yesterday. ;)

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My God! Three pounds? As much as that? No wonder you couldn't get your child bearin' hips up Griffith Park.

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home