Saturday, September 16, 2006

Taper Shmaper

Tomorrow is the Nautica Malibu Triathlon. Last year, this was my very first tri. In the week or two before a race, you're supposed to taper your training- take it a bit easy. Unfortunately, my marathon training schedule had me doing a 15-mile run this weekend. I debated how "fresh" I wanted to be for the tri, and ultimately decided that I'm far enough behind with the marathon training so I did the long run yesterday. We'll find out tomorrow what kind impact it had.

It's tough for me to come up with goals/predictions for the tri because I've been more focused on the marathon but of course I'd like to do better than last year (when I was THRILLED with my time.) Last year, I couldn't swim in a straight line; this year, I still can't swim in a straight line. If water conditions are good, I'll do well. If they're not, I won't. Bottom line I don't expect a big change in the swim.

I've focused more on distance than speed with my running, and I don't think I'm much faster than I was last year. My stamina should be better, but my foot isn't at 100%. Again, I don't expect much difference with my run time.

Now the bike is where I'd like to see some improvement. I have the clipless pedals, I had a bike fitting, and I think I'm generally a better cyclist now. Maybe not by a lot, but better. I'd be happy with a 2-3mph improvement over last year.

Oh, and once again, Jon Cryer is going down.

5 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Good luck Mister P! I'm sure you'll rock the bike if the 15 mile run didn't take it out of you.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Little Kenny said...

Hope it all goes well today.

Good luck.

~lk

10:05 AM  
Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

I'm supposed to be doing my taper this week. I'm nervous about it. It's counterintuitive to be working less instead of trying to cram in some last minute training.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

Races in the midst of training for another event can only be considered training. While training for a marathon, I'll run a half-marathon. The half gets no taper, as it's only a training run with support.

So, it becomes a decision about what is the "A" race. Everything else is another training day.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Your marathon is your A race....so dont' worry about time or how you do on this tri.

Just go out and have a blast..

I get anxious over my numbers (time/speed/cadence/HR etc.) and sometimes i race blind. Just go by feel and let the end result take care of itself.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home