Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Hit me with the digits

I received an L.A. Marathon finishers packet in the mail yesterday. It had a cheap (but nice gesture) certificate giving my time and placings, and a booklet with the complete results. All of this information is online, but I thought it was cool seeing it in print. Here's my complaint, and this holds true for ALL race results. They tell you your placing by division, gender, and overall, but they never tell you how many total people there were in the race. I was 5720th male and 7665th overall. If I want to know how many people competed, I have to add up the numbers of all the individual age groups. That's ridiculous.

They have computers. It would be nothing for them to include a race summary with the results stating total number of racers and numbers by gender. Without that information, the placing is meaningless.

2 Comments:

Blogger Iron Pol said...

That's really odd. Both triathlons I've completed (fairly small events) provided "x place out of y finishers" for each ranking shown. In running races, those have always been less common, but I've thought it was general practice in triathlons.

Apparently not.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

Funny thing is that as I recall, in the smaller races that haven't used timing chips, they DID post the numbers for every class.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home