Sunday, August 27, 2006

Watch what you say

I have a Timex Indiglo Expedition.

It is lightweight, water resisitant to 100m, has a stopwatch, and is cheap: in other words a great triathlon watch.

I was in a meeting last week where lots of Very Important People were discussing lots of Very Important Things. Just as we were adjourning, someone from across the table calls out "hey Mister P, is that a man's watch?" At which point all eyes were staring at my wrist. "I mean, it's just so small."

Why yes, it is a man's watch, thank-you-very-much. What made the comment sting particularly bad is the fact that one of reasons why I bought the watch is that it has a velcro strap and could fit around my skinny wrist. But thanks for bringing attention to it.

And people wonder why I have a complex.

4 Comments:

Blogger Iron Pol said...

Apparently only men wear big honking watches that cover the arm from the wrist to half-way to the elbow.

And for those of us with smaller wrists, those honking watches just start to look ridiculous.

I'd have looked at that person and said, "Is that a watch, or a grandfather clock?"

8:16 AM  
Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Well, your Timex is used to time very manly, very butch endeavors like triathlon. Whereas their watches are used to time how long takes the baristas to make their lattes. Just remember that. :-)

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe that person thought "hey why is that chick wearing a man's watch?" and that's why they asked you if that was a MAN's watch you're wearing.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wore my Indiglo last year at Nautica while my Polar M32 was sitting back at Polar getting a new battery. I have a new Indiglo waiting on standby just in case the Polar tanks again :-)

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home