Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ironwhale



Do you guys like the whale logo? Stupid- um... I mean "Dutch" drew it for me. I really like it. The whale comes from the awesome squeaky horn on my bike and the even more awesome inflatable whale at California 70.3. Some version of it will be on the sign I pin to the back of my jersey in Coeur d'Alene. If you see anyone with a killer whale in Idaho, say hello.

The big question is will this become my tattoo? If so, it needs some work. I want an M-Dot with a killer whale, but this logo is more of a killer whale with an M-Dot. I don't want the M-Dot being overwhelmed by the whale. And the tricky thing is you can't really use white ink, so the white parts of the whale have to be non-inked, or possibly I'd go with a grey or light blue. I'm working on some variations.

I know I'll be putting my tattoo on my calf, so I thought I'd try to simulate what this might look like. I figured I'd do a quick google image search for "calf", grab the first picture that popped up and put this logo on it. Just to get a rough idea how it would look. Well, the first attempt looked ridiculous:



OK, so I changed the search to "calf leg" and grabbed the first image that came up:



This time, I thought "wow, that looks great!" But then I released that getting a tattoo wouldn't make my legs looks like that. However, while I'm there I might as well look into getting some definition inked right on to my legs. I may get an abs tattoo while I'm at it.

I'm going to schedule a consultation with a tattoo guy and see if he has any other ideas. Getting just a basic green M-Dot is still on the table, as is not getting anything at all. Basically, I'm spending a lot of time obsessing over the tattoo to take my mind off of the actual race.

6 Comments:

Blogger Born To Endure said...

Why not make the m-dot red? Are those really YOUR calves..or calf's? LOL..best of luck at IMCDA..it was a most enjoyable IM for me..:-)

5:55 AM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

That is a great tattoo. I like it!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

To answer kona shelley: Originally I was going to use a red M-Dot. But the official Coeur d'Alene M-dot is green and blue, and I really want to have that extra symbolism in there.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea of the M-Dot on your belly... Maybe with your last name in gothic letters!!
-Axis of Evil Goon

9:47 AM  
Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Wait, so the tat WON'T make your legs look like that?.....

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG,
I snorted aloud with glee looking at your first "calf"! I am obsessively reading your and Athena's blogs to gain motivation for entering a tri. If motivation is measured in how many times I've almost peed myself laughing, I am well motivated!

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home