Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Permanent Record

I am facing the possibility that I may have to drop out of the California Half in 3 weeks. I haven't run in nearly a week, the only ride I did the past week was a slow 1-hour attempt on Sunday. Yet yesterday, just sitting at my desk and walking around at work, I felt pressure building up in my knee as the day went on. I think it may be a muscle imbalance, because after a while the discomfort extended down to my foot.

You would think that I still have a bit of time to decide about the race, but there was an odd motivator in my inbox today: an email from the race organizers:

"Dear Ford Ironman California 70.3 Participants,
...If you are not racing and do NOT wish to have a race number assigned, please let us know by hitting reply to this email on or before Friday, March 14... As per our entry policy, the refund deadline has passed and you will not be entitled to a refund nor do we allow rollovers to another year."


My first reaction was that if I can't get my money back, and I can't rollover my entry, why on earth would I extend them the courtesy of canceling my entry? Then it occurred to me: My Permanent Record.

If I have a race number assigned and don't actually race, my name will be logged in the databanks for countless future generations to see with a big DNF next to it. Did Not Finish. There's certainly no shame in a DNF, except that there kind of is. I wish there was a way I could get a "DNF*" and let the asterisk allow me to explain the circumstances of the DNF.

There is no rational reason to drop out of the race yet. I don't want to make that decision until I see the doctor next week. It's more important to look at the long-term Ironman goal (which isn't too long-term anymore!), but this race is supposed to be the big confidence booster for me, or at least give me a good reading on where I stand. The drama continues...

11 Comments:

Blogger monica said...

OH MAN!! i do hope you get good news from your doc. and if he gives you the go ahead, don't sweat your training, just go out and get through it.

last year i did oceanside just 3 weeks after having pneumonia. i asked my coach's advice and he said that if i was free from fever for a week prior, i should just go through it and take notes. i was gonna lose the money anyway, so i did it. it wasn't easy, it wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible, and i did just what coach suggested. I TOOK NOTES!!!

as far as your permanent record, i'm pretty sure there's a distinction between DNFinish and DNStart.

12:53 AM  
Blogger Born To Endure said...

I had my first DNF last year..but you know what..I got over it..it was hard, I cried..but I got over it. Just think of the people who never had the courage to even start!!!

4:24 AM  
Blogger Spokane Al said...

That sucks! I hope your affliction is minor and short term in nature and that you will soon be back in action.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Have you gone to a PT yet? Maybe get some ART work done to re-balance the muscles and get back on track.

good luck

9:32 AM  
Blogger greyhound said...

That's not a DNF, that's a DNS. And there's no shame in exercising good judgment not to begin something that cannot safely be finished. Permanent record be damned.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Andre said...

Dude I fee your pain.... I might have to drop out of the race too, have not been on my bike and have not seen a body of water bigger then my tub... Unless I do what I did last year at Wildflower, and show up with no training... so I can have another bad race under my belt.... NO THANKX!!!! Good luck with your knee...
Cheers,
Andre

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sucks that you can't get your money back or rollover, but as you typed there's no reason to drop out before seeing the doctor.

Take care of the knee. And if you get the green light, get moving (I say from my comfy couch).

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your knee problem is not too serious cuz I wanna tear up your ass at the Malibu Tri this Sept fair and square. -Jon Cryer

Oh yeah, Hope you're able to do the California 70.3. You've worked so hard (I take from your blog entries...that is)

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep the option to race open and do not cancel. If you DNF or DNS, so be it. Who frigging cares. It won't affect your credit score or your ability to do another IM or get a raise at work or whatever. DNF is what happens to every athlete that encounters an obstacle that necessitates the exercise of the option to not finish. Anyone who would interpret anything more is simply prejudiced.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

DNS = Did Nothing Stupid

They'll probably purge those records by the time your great great great grandchildren learn to read, anyway....

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure you're knee is 100% so you can forget about this when you cross the finish line at CDA :-)

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home