Thursday, March 06, 2008

Knee-jerk Reaction



So I may have a problem with my knee.

After Saturday's ocean swim, we went for a bike ride. I very quickly fell to the back of the pack on the straight-aways (not unusual) and then fell even farther behind on the hills (unusual). I had this feeling in my knee - it was kind of like a pressure bubble underneath the kneecap and it started to get more and more painful as I put more pressure on it on the hills. After 6 miles I just gave up and headed back. (The rest of the group was probably already a mile or two ahead of me at that point.)

I thought maybe it was just a fluke. Then Tuesday morning I went out for our ride. This one was entirely flat so I thought it would be easier on the knee. Nope. Went a few miles, knee started flaring up again and I dropped out of that ride as well.

Then last night I went out for a light jog. I was going to try three miles. The first 2.5 went fine- no problems whatsoever. But then I started feeling the pressure building up again and I just stopped.

I am not ready to go to a doctor just yet. Doctors are scary. I'm going to stay off it a few days, let it rest a while and maybe try a very light ride on Sunday. If that goes OK, then I should be good to go and I'll slowly start ramping up my training again. If I still can't hop on the bike without pain, then... well we'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

7 Comments:

Blogger Born To Endure said...

you might want to have someone look at your bike set-up...that could be contributing to your problems..

5:38 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I had left knee problems while riding before. Sometimes my knee hurts (injury kind, not the training kind) when my running shoes loses their support.

Here is what I have done that made tackle that problem:

- weights to take care of the muscle imbalance
- bike fit (as Shelley suggests)
- new running shoes
- stretches

Mister P, hope you get this taken care of so you can have more fun =D

6:38 AM  
Blogger Andre said...

Mike,
Just take a break and go see an acupuncture's. I have a really good one and she is not far from where you work. I could not have done an Ironman if it wasn't for her, she is also an MD and she is Chinese (the real deal!)
Her name is Doc Liu and the number there is:
Media District Chiropractic
2811 W Olive Ave
Burbank, CA 91505
(818) 842-5990
They do take the Disney insurance ...
Good luck,
Andre

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wedgie,
I had knee tightness as well on that same bike ride last weekend. (Non-injury related) I did three this week and so far everything feels much better:
1) Ibuprofen to reduce swelling
2) Ice every day
3) Strech IT band (tightness is a common symptom of triathletes and runners)
-Ben

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have it diagnosed. You may have anything from a slight inflamation to a torn ligament to separating cartilage. The fact symptoms show up after some time on both low impact and high impact exercise makes me suspect a cartilage separation at the knee. By continuing to exert effort instead of resting, you are gradually destroying the small amount of healing that the knee has achieved to repair itself and that's when the pain returns - once you've broken through the healed parts.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Doctor Loomis said...

GO TO A DOCTOR.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

Well, everyone else took the serious side, so I'll just suggest you look into those lightning bolts or that sledgehammer. If it were anything but a Roughneck, I wouldn't be concerned...

Seriously, though, consider having it looked at. You can find some truly odd things causing pain. And eight years of school does so much more than 30 minutes on WebMD.

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home