Monday, March 24, 2008

Let's Get Physical

I had my first session of Physical Therapy Friday. The guy didn't really do much, mostly just looked at my knee and did a little bit of stretching. I guess he's going to put me on a treadmill or something at our next session. It sounds like he's more interested in the long-term stuff, which is all fine and good but I have a race in one week. I basically feel that I wasn't injured enough to really gain much from Physical Therapy. My guess is that with the PT I'll be be at 100% in 10 days; without it, I would be at 100% in 14 days. My race is in 7 days. He may do some preventive stuff for the future, but it's nothing that Dr. Brian couldn't show me. For free.

I was able to do a 36-mile bike ride on Saturday. It was slow and I was having a little bit of knee trouble, but my legs really needed the mileage. More importantly, I did a 9-mile run today. Again, not fast and I walked a little bit, but the weak link with the running wasn't my knee; it was my tired legs. (The last time I even TRIED anything more than 4 miles was Feb 24th, a month ago.) Since the biking still hurts my knee more than the running, I'm going to go in for a new bike fitting.

My Physical Therapist also opened up a bunch of repressed traumatic childhood memories, but that deserves its own post.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andre said...

Unless you're doing sports PT, don't bother it won't do you any good... the light rub they give you its not worth the gel they use. After my back surgery I tried everything and got really sick of the waisted time I saw a traditional PT. I was luck to find a really hot, sports PT and she did help, both mentally and physically ;)

12:55 PM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

Well this is sports PT so I'm covered there. I can't say that my therapist is hot, although I'm sure his wife would disagree.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home