Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Weakend Workout

Yes, WEAKend.

Our Tri Team had our final dress rehearsal for the Nautica Malibu Triathlon on Saturday. (1/2 mile open-ocean swim, 18-mile bike, 4-mile run.) Friday night, I loaded up my car with my wetsuit, bike and running shoes. Woke up Saturday morning at 6:30 am, drove about an hour to get to Malibu. Got out of my car and said "I don't want to swim." I just didn't want to. I didn't feel like climbing into the wetsuit and having to stretch and go fight the waves. So I skipped the swim and took pictures of the rest of the team jumping into the water instead. I got back to my car and said "I don't want to bike." I just didn't want to. I didn't feel like fighting the wind or climbing the hills. So I skipped the bike. I did finally force myself to do the run.

Last night we had a run after work. I got stuck in a meeting that ran late so I couldn't make it in time for the workout. You would think that I could have just gone out on my own. But instead, I was kind of bummed that I haven't been training and went home and ate some peanut butter. A LOT of peanut butter.

Basically I'm stuck in the post-Ironman blahs. I don't like training. I don't like NOT training. I admit I feel an unhealthy sense of entitlement: "I gave up 6 months of my life training for Ironman, so if I want to sleep in or skip a workout, I deserve to." Unfortunately, it's a dangerous cycle. I don't train, which makes me feel sad and guilty, so I eat, which makes me not feel like training...

Why can't our Tri Team completely disband, stop doing workouts all-together so we can just hang out and go to movies and do all of the fun stuff? That would be awesome.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andre said...

Welcome to the post Ironman Blues!!!! I had the same illness in 06 when I did my IM Brazil.... Malibu was not something I care about at the time.... You have enough fitness to do Malibu twice on the same date my friend, don't worry...

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

J Lo is gonna wipe the floor with your ass if you keep up this attitude. Then she'll say "I beat an ironman" and then you wont' be so proud mister frog tattoo ironman.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh - so what - you didn't feel like training. Boo hoo.

It's not that big a deal. Give yourself and your body a break. You deserve it.

I wish I could slap you again right now. SNAP OUT OF IT!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was wondering why we didn't see you at the start of the Disneyland Half Marathon this weekend ;)

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home