Thursday, October 11, 2007

Ironman 70.3: California

I signed up for Ironman 70.3 California. It's in March, about 12 weeks before Coeur d'Alene. It should be a good time to check on my training and practice nutrition a bit. It should be very doable; I did Wildflower, and this race is easier than that, right? I mean, Good Lord it HAS to be easier! California 70.3 has only 64 feet of elevation gain in the run. 64! Piece of cake, no? But here's the thing: I'm pretty nervous about it.

For starters, my big race for 2008 is 8 months away. Now I have a big race in 5 months. So suddenly eveything seems closer. Then there's the weather. Not only will the ocean be freezing in late March, but I'm going to have to do at least some ocean training in February. Crazy. And it has been known to rain on race day. It truly could be a miserable day.

There is a lot of pressure on this race, because it will set the entire mental tone leading up to Ironman. If I do well in California, then hopefully it will give me a good confidence boost during the final 12 weeks of training. But if anything goes wrong - I bonk the run or swallow some seawater or get sick along the course - then I'll be completely freaked out about doing a full Ironman.

Then again, with or without the 70.3 race, I'll be completely freaked out at Coeur d'Alene anyway.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bigun said...

woah there big fella...look at your sidebar...37 weeks...lets not get too freaked out yet...

4:22 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Congrats on signing up for the Cali 70.3!!! I'll be there to shout "Go Mister P!" Because I won't be racing that one ;) Good luck buddy :) It's a cold race generally until the run. I'll probably have a baby stroller with me ( not for you tho )

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh good! this is the race I use as an excuse to stay at my mom's condo. Rene and will most likely be there to cheer you on.

ttt

6:10 PM  
Blogger monica said...

i raced it this year, and it didn't rain nor was it very cold. in fact it warmed up pretty well midway through the bike. it was colder waiting for the swim to start than once we were actually in the water. here's the good news. unless they change the course, the swim is in AN ENCLOSED HARBOR, no waves, so you don't have to get too crazy with the ocean workouts in february. no beach start, instead, you're whole wave gets in the water and swims about 50 yards and wades in the water at the start line before you take off. there's some climbing on the bike for sure, but nothing like what i guess wildflower is like. just think of it as your warm up to im cda and don't put much more pressure on it than that. take it as an opportunity to test your nutrition, hydration, clothing, etc. it'll be my warm up to im brasil just 8 weeks later, so now who should be nervous!!!???? see you there!!!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home