Sunday, October 01, 2006

Best laid plans

I was supposed to run 18 miles this morning. That's pretty far and requires a bit of preparation. Last night I laid out the clothes I would need. I put out my Body Glide, my Nip Guards, and my Band-Aids (to wrap around toes to prevent blisters.) I filled up some water bottles, and took out some gel packs. Everything was set for me to get up in the morning and go.

Last night, a friend was celebrating his birthday at a bar. My plan was that I would meet him around 9, have a drink and leave by 11. I'd wake up at 8 the next morning, get dressed, and be running by 9. Perfect.

Well, I had more than one drink. Actually, I got wasted. Plastered. Shit-faced. To the point that when the bar closed at 2am, I fell asleep in my car for nearly 2 hours before driving home.

Needless to say I was in no condition to climb out of bed this morning, let alone run 18 miles. I may try to run later tonight if my head stops pounding by then, but my training schedule is completely messed up now.

How many carbs are in a Vodka Cranberry?

9 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

Yes! I miss seeing Mister P plastered.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, who got the lucky goodnight kiss?

11:48 PM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

Ummmm, not enough to run 18 miles.

If you're going to carb load at a bar, you need to stick with full calorie beers. High carbs. Eating pizza helps.

You're a brave and daring man if your pre-long-run evening starts with "meet at bar at 9 p.m." The nights before my long runs end around 8:30 when I go to bed.

But if you have to blow a training day, do it for friends and a good night partying.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

...beer...what's with those vodka cranberry :0

6:57 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

I agree with Cliff. You shoulda stuck to the beer, got carbo-loaded while getting loaded, then got your run-on as planned!

Remember that for next time.

There wil be a next time, right?

3:11 PM  
Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

The vodka is next to nothing. If you use Cranberry lite cocktail, you get the best of all worlds.
By the way, I'm yelling at everyone about Injinji socks. Myles and I used them at Redman, and they rock. Check them out.

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you were plastered and fell asleep in your car for two hours before driving home then you were driving under the influence and you could have killed someone or yourself. I've enjoyed reading your blog but my opinion of you has just falled so dramatically that I won't be back. Please reconsider how you get home after a night out.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

Anonymous: I stopped drinking somewhere between 11:30 and midnight. At 2:00, I was not ready to drive home. At 4:00, over 4 hours after I had my last drink, I was in much better shape.

10:45 AM  
Blogger :) said...

anonymous...lighten up, dude!

[sip] *hic*

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home