Tuesday, October 03, 2006

18 Again

By Monday night I was sober enough to do my 18-mile run. I left work early to catch more of the daylight, but I still didn't quite make it; the last 40-minutes or so was pretty much in comlpete darkness, other than the faint glow of the moon and the reflections in the eyes of the hungry wolves stalking the trail.

It was during my 18-mile-run training for the L.A. Marathon that I had my epiphany that I would be writhing in pain by the time I crossed the finish line of a marathon. While that didn't exactly happen, it was still a pretty miserable experience. And last night, I felt a glimpse of the pain to come during those last 2 miles. They were pretty rough. However, back in February I ran 18 miles in 3:39. Last night I did it in 3:06. I still can't break that elusive 10-minute-mile barrier on my long runs but at least there's some improvement.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cliff said...

Neoprene,

That's a very good improvement. Are u going to celebrate with more alcohol? :)

7:07 AM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

I plan on doing Vodka Gu Shooters during the marathon.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

If you did an 18 miler with only the last 40 minutes in the dark, it was a good day.

My runs over 15 miles are almost nearly always dark from start to finish. Of course, that's because they start at 3:30 a.m. on Sunday morning, so I'm done before church.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home