Friday, March 17, 2006

Pittsburgh or Bust

People like to say "your time doesn't matter...just finishing is enough." I hate that hippie crap. I think your time DOES matter. It isn't important how it compares with anyone else's results, but whether you think you can do a marathon in 3 hours, or 6 hours, or 8, I think you should start the run with some sort of personal goal in mind.

The time I spend running the marathon should be comparable to taking an airplane trip:



On Sunday, I think I'll be going to Pittsburgh. That should be a reasonable but very good time for me. I will be a little upset if I wind up in New York. However, in the back of my mind I have a secret goal. And I'm afraid to even say it for fear that if I don't make it I'll be disappointed. But here it is: I want to go to Indianapolis. Based on my best half-marathon time, the online pace-calculators predict that I can go to Indianapolis. My training runs say that I won't.

But for now, I hear Pittsburgh is beautiful this time of year.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

I agree 100%, time does matter!

If you think there is even a chance, you should aim for Indianapolis, my friend. No matter the result, you can't be disappointed with trying and giving everything you have to get there.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I give myself two times. One is the longest i will take to do..the second one is the challenge, the shorter time.

If I can run within the first time, i am happy.

If I can run wihtin the second time..i am over joy.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you could get a flight out of Phoenix?

12:26 AM  
Blogger Habeela said...

Awesome analogy! At this point I think I'll settle for a world tour. :D

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, I love this concept. It's ingenious.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home