Saturday, March 18, 2006

Marathon MOT

Whenever I have a something stressful to do, every day brings a little more anxiety. But at some time there will be an inflection point when the stress jumps into high gear. The "holy-fucking-shit, what am I doing?" moment. This is the MOT. (Moment Of Terror). My Marathon MOT hit me this morning on my way to pick up my race packet in downtown L.A. Workers were already starting to set up barriers and stages along the course. Driving down Flower Street I could see a big white banner stretched across the road; I naturally assumed it was some sort of marathon sign. After I drove under it I turned around and saw what it said:



Mile 26.

I don't know why, but that's when it hit me. I could feel my face go flush and my stomach tie up in a knot. Absolute Terror. I will be travelling under that sign again tomorrow, but in far less comfort than I did this morning.

4 Comments:

Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

Hey, man, good luck! I haven't done a full marathon yet, but I've done two half marathons. I agree with you on the "hippie crap" but remember also to have a good time. Live in the moment, and be aware of your surroundings and experience so that you can post a race report for the rest of us tomorrow!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Hmm... that's when my MOT hit me, at the packet pickup the day before the race. Maybe we shouldn't pick up our packets anymore... have someone else do it for us. Then we'll have no more MOTs :)

Good luck! Finish strong.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Talin Petrosian (Թալին) said...

Dont be nervous Mister P. it's just running! Joking! I know its probably very stressful, but just relax and run (or walk if needed!)

Good Luck!!!

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I did it, my MOT was when we were all crowded together waiting for the gun to go off. I remember thinking "it's too late to back out now".

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home