Saturday, January 28, 2006

...or am I just happy to see you?



I've ruined 2 iPods.

I had an iPod Shuffle and one day it just stopped working completely. It turns out I short-circuited it or something by sweating too much and getting moisture inside. It's not a design flaw; the issue was the way I was wearing the iPod.

I bought one of those iPod armbands, but the problem - embarrasingly enough - is that my arms are too skinny and I have to wrap the strap around my arm twice to make it fit. Well, not quite... but it is true that the strap does not fit my arm very well so I can't use it. Instead, I basically just tucked the Shuffle down into the waistband of my shorts- an admittedly sweaty area.

The good people at the Apple Store gave me a free replacement iPod, and with this one I tried taping up the seams with scotch tape before each run, hoping it would make it waterproof. Unfortunately, it didn't help and I broke the 2nd Shuffle. I had to buy a new one (custom engraved, based on a suggestion from the Apple Store). This time, I'm trying a different approach. I took a rubber band and strapped a safety pin to the Shuffle and now I simply pin it to my waistband. It's not pretty, but then neither am I in my running shorts.

Yes, that's an iPod in my pocket.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You carried it around in your jock?

iPuke.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

Inside of running shorts, outside of running briefs. Held in place by the waistband of shorts, half sticking out top.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Cliff said...

Neoprene,

Have you tried this? Get a sandwich bag. Wrapped it around your ipod. And make a little hole for your headphone jack. It worked for me for my old mp3 player when I run with it in the rain.

9:26 PM  
Blogger TriZilla said...

Very clever and low tech! I love it!

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use this for my Nano: http://dlodirect.com/Products/AJnano_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=[cart]

I don't like it on my arm so I clip it to my running belt (part bottle holder, part batman utility belt) from Ultimate Direction.
http://www.ultimatedirection.com/product.php?id=77&color=2&page=fitness
The Access 2x holds 2 bottles, great for long runs.

Having the iPod clipped onto a belt of some form makes it super convenient (and gets the water bottle out of your hand as well).

Works great. If it rains, I'll take the tip from the other reader and wrap the iPod it in a baggie.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it rains, I won't run.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandwhich bags are what i use! But my greatest concern is the earphones and what damage over time it might be doing to my ears, considering they are on for sometime in some sweaty ears. Maybe I'm worrying to much, but just wondering if anyone elese has these concerns?

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home