Saturday, January 07, 2006

Eating my words

I may have to take back some of the things I said about race-packet-pick-up. Don't get me wrong: it was a pain having to drive down to Irvine this morning to get my bib and t-shrit. But after going through the Expo, and seeing everyone else running about, I'm actually starting to feel excited about the run. So maybe it's not such a bad thing after all.

Of course, it's always important to have some sort of goal for a race, so here's mine: For the 2006 Orange County Half Marathon, my goal is to get a good race photo. They always have official race photographers snapping photos throughout the race, and every time I look like a complete dork. Tomorrow I hope to change that. I bought a new hat at the expo so I won't look as bald as I usually do. And when I see the photographers, I'm going to hold my head up and look straight forward instead of staring down at my feet as in most of my photos. As for any expressions of pain or misery, well that's something I don't think I'll be able to control.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another good thing about driving down before the actual event - you have some idea where you're going on race day.

Tips for race photos:

1. Head up, look forward. (as you already observed)
2. Try to keep your mouth closed.
3. At the finish line, don't check your watch, or even reach for it. If you're worried about getting an accurate time on your stopwatch, start it 5 steps past the start line and deal with stopping it once you cross the finish line.

The rest will take care of itself. Have a great race!

12:15 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Oh, thanks for reminding me. I have the same goal, and must go buy a new hat! :)

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home