Saturday, July 30, 2005

Simon Says

Simon says touch your hip.
Simon says touch your shoulder.
Simon says touch your head.
Breathe.

HA! Simon didn't tell you to breathe!

That's pretty much how my "ocean swim clinic" felt last weekend. Undeterred, I went back to Zuma the day after the killer run-through. We floated out in the water a bit and the swim coach gave us a bunch of drills to work on. One of them involved swimming and literally tapping your hip, shoulder and head in sequence to get your arms in the proper positions. It sounds easy. The problem is that while you're doing this, you also have to be kicking properly. And lifting your head of the water to sight properly. And rotating your body in the water. And, hopefully, breathing. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to do all those things at the same time. I'm just not coordinated enough.

You know how a fish looks flopping around on dry land? That's how I must have looked flopping around in the water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home