Monday, July 04, 2005

Palisades K2

Today I ran the Palisades Will Rogers 10k with my friend Flash, aka Mark. Personally, I think the event should be renamed the Palisades K2. Not because the run was hilly, but because it was mountainous. Oh my it was teh suxor. The course description calls for a "steep one mile climb through Will Rogers State Historic Park" and they ain't kidding. It was a very nice course though- the neighborhood felt like a quaint New England village with lots of people sitting out of their front porches cheering the runners.

I can't say I'm happy with my time. It took me 30 seconds longer than the 10k I did last October. I realize this was a more difficult course, but shouldn't all this training be compensating for that? Flash (aka Mark) did very well and finished several minutes ahead of me- he spent a few years in Scotland and all those attacks by the Loch Ness Monster really built up his stamina.

Some logistical advice for next year: let people know the (non-existant) parking situation ahead of time. Many of us would have saved a lot of time trying to get around all the closed-down streets had we known it was just a free-for-all on the side streets. Also, and this is a biggie, put the water near the finish line. We're dying at the end, the last thing we want is to have to walk another couple hundred yards for a drink. Charge it to our bib numbers if you have to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home