Saturday, March 06, 2010

A Brief Lapse of Judgement

*** WARNING *** WARNING *** WARNING ***
- This post contains TOO MUCH INFORMATION. -

It's been a while since I overcame my fear of spandex. Sorry, it's true. Spandex is a natural part of bike riding, but it is my preferred material for running as well. I find it very comfortable. However, I realize there are times when it isn't appropriate to wear spandex; I'm not going to wear my tri shorts to the gym, nor (as I found out the hard way) should I wear them to Leah's run workouts. So I have a few pairs of running shorts for those special occasions.

You can't simply wear cotton tighty-whiteys under your running shorts. Fortunately, there are plenty of styles of sports briefs to keep you comfortable and supported during your workouts. Take a look at one of my newer pairs of undies. Oh, don't be a baby about it, just look:



They're Nike, high-tech, should be a great pair of clothing. But for some reason they always seemed a bit tighter on me than my other sports briefs. I didn't give it too much thought, because some tri shorts fit tighter than others and I just assumed the same was true for briefs. Besides, for better or worse, by now I'm used to wearing clingy clothing.

After several wearings, I happened to notice the back of the briefs and saw the Nike swoosh.



I thought that was an odd location for the company logo, and then it hit me: I had been wearing the briefs backwards. Now before you judge me too quickly, you need to know that there are certain "rules" for underwear: If the tag is sewn on the inside of the waistband, it goes in the back. If it's sewn on the outside of the waistband, it goes in the front. I don't know why, that's just the way it is and all of my other shorts/briefs follow that rule. I spun the Nikes around and sure enough, they are more comfortable that way.

To the best of my knowledge, I have been wearing my bike shorts/wetsuits/speedos correctly, but I may have to try flipping them all around once just to be sure.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too like compression for both uppers & lowers (I believe it keeps the old body together). Not for nothing, but I'd recommend lined running shorts: slightly baggy outer & brief inner in one. Done & done.

Happy backward running,
The Spandex Pirate.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home