Saturday, January 30, 2010

Daddy Needs a New Pair of Shoes

Strange problem. About a month ago I bought a new pair of shoes. Not quite dress shoes, but something I could wear to work. I tried them on the store and they felt fine. I wore them the next day and by the end of the day my feet were killing me. My shins were hurting. The sides of my legs were hurting. 

So I brought them back and tried on some new shoes. They felt fine. Next day, same thing: hurt feet, hurt legs. And I bought a third pair. And a fourth. And these were not cheap shoes. So obviously something is wrong. The odd thing is I have no problem with any of my old shoes. Sneakers, dress shoes, casual... they're all fine. I just can't wear anything new. Seems a little bizarre.

For once I decided to do the right thing and go see a doctor. Both Lisa at work and Craig suggested Dr. Kase in Burbank. He's a marathon runner/event organizer or something like that, so he understands runner issues.

He had some young kid with him, I assume some kind of "Podiatrist Apprentice". And the doctor was explaining to him everything he was doing to me. Pulling, twisting, poking my feet. He was saying things like "notice the nevidious-osteo-alidocious". At one point I told him "OK, now you're just making words up."

The doctor couldn't explain why I can't wear new shoes, but he said I was pronating with my left foot and that might be throwing everything out of whack. He taped up my left foot as a bit of an "experiment". I have to walk around with my foot like this for 2 weeks and see what happens. Since both feet were hurting, I couldn't understand why he didn't tape both feet, but I have to say after 2 days at work in new shoes my feet feel much better.

I have no idea what this means going forward. I guess I'll have to wear some sort of support in my shoes for the rest of my life? And it still doesn't explain why I can still wear old shoes without any trouble.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neoprene Wedgie lives!! I was so worried.
-Steph

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home