Monday, January 12, 2009

Hellooooooo, Newman

I started running again on a regular basis. Ow.

My first run Wednesday was supposed to be 5.5 miles with a big hill in the middle, but a nice leisurely pace. Unfortunately we got a bit over-eager and went out a little too fast. That hurt. On Thursday, we were supposed to a flat 4 miles, at a nice leisurely pace. Unfortunately, I got a bit over-eager and went out a little too fast. That hurt even more. The cool part of the evening was that while we were stretching in the lobby before the run, Wayne Knight walked by. No idea what he was doing in the building, but he didn't join us. To answer Jill's question, I wouldn't call him "skinny" but he definitely smaller than he was in his Seinfeld days.

The Wednesday and Thursday running groups essentially pull from the same pool of people and there is a lot of overlap, but there is definitely a different vibe to them. The Wednesday group tends to be cyclist-oriented, while Thursday is more runner-oriented. What's the biggest difference between the two? Cyclists wear tight, clinging clothing; runners wear loose, flowing clothing. And I found out the hard way that it is apparently a fashion faux-pas to show up on Thursdays wearing spandex. Run-Leader-Leah brought this to my attention by announcing to the group "so, Wedgie's showing up with the Tri shorts!" Ironically, she was explaining to the new people that we would have several distances and paces, so everyone would feel comfortable. Yeah, I felt real comfortable with everyone turning towards me to look at me bum.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

A Newman sighting.....awesome :-)

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the "leader" of said Wednesday night runs, I must say I think I'm offended... I don't even have wheels on my bike right now.
;)
-g

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seem to recall it being less of an announcement and more of a personal question about why you would choose to run with a chamois if you aren't coming off the bike. THAT seems to be the surest way to feel uncomfortable.

On the up side, I was also responsible for Wayne Knight...he was there auditioning for one of our pilots.

See you Thursday. I promise no clothing comments, unless the Guitar Hero shorts make another appearance.

Leah

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

some try to be in both camps, like wearing running thights under running shorts. must be a result of being confused between the thursday and wednesday fashion requirement.

Jon

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home