Monday, February 01, 2010

The Party's Over (let the games begin)

"Why are you banging your head against the wall?"
"Because it feels so good when I stop."

That's kind of my philosophy of triathlon training. After Ironman Wisconsin (and Coeur d'Alene), I just felt DONE. (thank goodness Stephanie had her Ironman to train for or I never would have been back on the bike! And yes, I'll have an Arizona report.) Sadly, all those evenings of not running...all those weekends not going for bike rides...all those days not going down to the pool - those days are over.

My "A" race for 2010 is Ironman Hawaii 70.3 in June. I have never been to Hawaii. It is usually cheaper to fly to Hawaii than it is for me to go home to Jersey, yet I've booked a dozen flights to Newark and not one to Honolulu. Go figure. My typical race- training plan is 4 months long, and Hawaii is now 4 months away. Which means I have to start training again.

From the day I signed up for the race, I vowed my primary motivation was an excuse to get to Hawaii. I want to see lava and drink fru-fru drinks out if a coconut shell, and if I have to swim bike and run a bit one day, so be it.

So I am not looking for a PR (although my Wildflower and Oceanside times are nothing to brag about.) The problem is I think we may have 10-15 people from my Tri Team doing the race, and another 10-15 friends/family/supporters. I don't need to set any records, but I also don't want to embarrass myself.

The other problem is that the warm waters of Hawaii means this is a non-wetsuit race. That makes it hard. So maybe THIS year I really should learn to swim in a straight line. Oh, and since I'll be shirtless for the swim, I really should cut back on the Oreos. Or maybe just find a race-legal swim shirt.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

couple o' things:
1- orbitz.com is having a hell of a deal if you haven't booked yet
2 - we'll spend plenty of pier to piers sans wetsuit...
3 - good to have ya back!!!
-g

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't lose your tattoo to a shark.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home