Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Taking Off Training Wheels

I finally have a Big Boy's Bike: I bought new clip-in pedals and bike shoes. My old pedals had "baskets" that I slipped my regular running shoes into - no clips - but those were called "clip pedals". My new pedals have clips that lock into the shoes, but these are called "clipless". I don't get it at all.

I think I like them. I can already notice a difference when I try to accelerate- I can definitely feel more power. I still have zero confidence clipping in and out of the pedals though. It's only a matter of time before I get stuck in the pedals and crash. Stay tuned to NeopreneWedgie.com for breaking news when that happens.

I probably should have bought the new pedals month ago, but I don't regret not starting out with them. When I first started triathlon training, it was just one more thing to have to buy and one more thing to worry about packing before a race.

I guess the next step will be getting the official triathlon handlebars, but I'm not ready for that yet. I'm worried that there won't be any room for my killer whale squeeky horn and that has to take priority.

5 Comments:

Blogger Habeela said...

Clips vs. clipless is like regular vs. tubular tires. Who decides these things?

4:34 AM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

The clipless pedals are definitely a big plus. I always used the old cage style pedals (I refuse to call them clip pedals). They were better than nothing, but I couldn't stand them. In order to have any benefit, you had to really strap yourself in. That, of course, invited disaster.

You'll find that with the clipless, the only time you'll find yourself freaking out (and likely to fall) planned stops. I've fallen twice. Once when my chain snapped on an uphill climb. Nothing to do there. The other was pulling into my driveway. If anyone saw that one, I definitely lost "cool" points.

My real "concern" is the unexpected wipeout. There's no getting out of the pedals while you're flying through the air, so the bike is going with you.

6:55 AM  
Blogger S. Baboo said...

You can adjust the tension of the pedals to make them easier/more difficult to get out of.

For some reason when I wreck on a bike I always flip end over end...the bike does not come with, I fly right out of the pedals.

Enjoy!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Steven said...

Once you get used to the clipless peds you'll love them.

But you do need to REMEMBER to unclip before getting to an intersection. Because once that feeling of panic sets in you are screwed and falling over.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty damned clumsy, and I've never fallen in "clipless" pedals. I have, however, sprained my wrist while standing still with "clip" pedals. Long story. The only thing I recommend: practicing clipping in on the fly.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home