Friday, June 02, 2006

Start Spreading the News

My big event for the summer is the New York City Triathlon. I sort of signed up by accident.

Our corporate partners at ESPN formed a Tri-Team to do the NYC-Tri, and they invited us left-coasters to join them. As it turns out, it's the same weekend as my mother's 70th birthday in Jersey. I assumed that with most relay teams, they would trouble finding swimmers so I told the good ESPN folk I would fly out there, just do the swim and then could celebrate my mom's birthday. I got on the roster, but they wound up with an abundance of swimmers and not enough bikers. Biking would be the hardest for me because of the logistics of flying with a bike, but if I didn't do the bike leg I'd be making things MORE difficult for them. Long story short, (too late), I'm doing the whole race solo.

I'm a little nervous about it, mostly because it's New York. I love The City, but it means that everything is going to be big. If you can make it there you can make it anywhere, and I'd like to do well in my pseudo-home city. Also, it's an "Olympic Distance" which is a longer swim and a longer bike than I've ever done. And to top it all off, my shins are still hurting from the marathon back in March, so I haven't been running much.

My guess is that once I survive swimming in the Hudson River, the rest should be easy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Habeela said...

You'll do great! The thing about NYC is that you've got every level of every sport so there will be just as many people slower than you as there are people who are faster. Trust me. I used to come in last in everything I did and in moving to the city I became average!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home