Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Triathlon's Biggest Douchebag

Some of you felt that the guy who gave me advice during my run this weekend was a douchebag. I think that's a bit harsh - it was a little weird but at least he was well-intentioned. To give some perspective on what a REAL douchebag is, I've been sitting on this post for a while but was reluctant to share it. Perhaps it's time.

Shortly after Kona, the internet was naturally filled with discussions about the race. One individual posted something to a public forum which rather upset me. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Triathlon's Biggest Douche:



Yes, that is an exact quote and that is a photo of him I found online. I responded "you are free to try to spit on my medal any time you like."

To make matters worse, he's not just some cocky triathlete. He's a USA Triathlon certified coach. That's right, this douchebag is teaching other people about triathlon. Apparently the USAT's sportsmanship clauses don't apply to him.

I do wish him the best of luck in his racing and coaching endeavors. Because if he's successful, then maybe he'll get invited to give seminars and workshops. And I will show up, stand up in a room full of fellow triathletes, and ask him if he would like to spit on my medal.

Douche. Bag.

4 Comments:

Blogger Not Quite Lightning McQueen said...

Nicely worded, "Douche. Bag."

Also, +++ on the research!

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should step up to him and show him your medal and dare him to spit on it.
If he does, kick his ass.

6:36 PM  
Blogger monica said...

i happen to be a USAT certified coach and they take sportsmanship VERY SERIOUSLY. this guy should be reported!!!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Ron said...

What he probably meant was that there should be a difference between those who qualify for Kona vs. the charity bibs...and I think you'd be hard pressed to argue otherwise.

Case in point, I saw a guy wearing a Kona shirt two weeks after the 2010 race, running in a ten miler. I said wow, you recover quickly, and he said oh, I didn't go the race, I just watched it. Really, and you bought an athlete shirt?

Not that any IM isn't an accomplishment, I just wish they would differentiate between the two types of slots to be fair to everyone.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home