Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Hills are Alive

I went running with the Wednesday night crew. This guy "Mike" was there, who works for a competing entertainment company. (I won't mention any names, but the initials are WB.) Mike was one of those crazy people who ran a 50-mile race a few weeks ago, and he was wearing a T-shirt that I absolutely love/hate:

"50 is the new 26.2"

I love it because it's clever; I hate it because of all of this growing pressure that marathons and Ironmans aren't extreme enough anymore. It's getting scary!

I hadn't run in a few weeks, so I was going to do a slow, flat, 3-mile run around the golf course just to get the legs going. There were two groups running last night; Heather took the beginners out, and then shortly after Jon and Gerald took the advanced group out. I went with the advanced group for the first 1.5 miles, and then planned on doing my own thing when they turned right to head up into the hills. I definitely wanted to stay flat.

We caught up with the beginner group who were taking a brief break, so I figured I would just continue with them around the golf course. The advanced group headed up into the hills; good riddance.

Heather got the beginners moving again, but instead of going around the golf course, what does she do? She heads up into the hills! Ouch I really didn't want that. When will I learn, our Tri Team doesn't pander to newbies. They push and push (and people make great progress as a result.) That doesn't make Heather any less evil.

Other quick updates:

I added two more hooks in the showers. People are using them. Excellent.

Joe the Trainer dropped a plate on his foot in our last session. Serves him right; if I'm in pain, so should he be. (He's fine.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

What do you call the 20.6 race distance, asks your pedantic friend Brad?

8:57 AM  
Blogger Wedgie said...

Yes, I have been corrected. I changed it to read "26.2".

10:47 AM  
Blogger Andre said...

What's wrong with doing hills, lot's of fun!!! Wanna join me for a 18 miles this Sunday? Sorry I've been away from your blog...
Cheers,
Andre

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home