Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Do I feel lucky, punk?

I registered for the Kona Lottery.

The Ironman Triathlon World Championships are held in Kona, Hawaii. The top 50 or so finishers in 27 different Ironman and Half-Ironman events qualify to go to Hawaii. But the Founding Fathers declared by edict that there would always have a mechanism to allow "normal" people to participate in the World Championships (not that people who try Iromans are normal). About 200 slots are available in a lottery system. It's very cool. Imagine being able to win a drawing to compete in the Olympics; that's what this is like.

Because Kona is THE triathlon event of the year, thousands of people enter the lottery so it becomes a numbers game. The more years you apply, the better your chance of making it in some day. This would be a bit early for me to try an Ironman, but I figure I both can't win and can't lose here. (Or I both win and lose.) If I get a spot, it will be an AMAZING opportunity, but my life will be ruined for the next 8 months of training. If I don't get a slot, I'll be disappointed but greatly relieved.

Most of all, I want to be part of the excitement on April 15 when the lottery results are announced. The Island Gods will determine our destinies.

4 Comments:

Blogger momo said...

ooohhh, i did too! good luck!

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet! Let's go to Hawaii!

-tim

2:55 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Very cool. I didn't realize the drawing results were on the same day as IMAZ. Maybe if I find out half way thru the race that I got a lottery spot I can relax the rest of the way...

Let's hope our tickets get pulled for Kona!

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you get in I am so going to kona!

-tammy

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home