Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Up, Up, and Away

Let me start by saying it was 45 degrees when I left my home. The Axis of Evil took me on another hill run tonight, but instead of running on the trails we ran up the road to just below the Griffith Park Observatory. This is the elevation for the first 3 miles or so:



It was basically just one giant hill, always going up. I was pretty much done and ready to stop at the Greek Theater (around mile 2), but some peer pressure and a few pats on the back got me to go up further and I was very glad I did. The top of that hill was the bottom of the SECOND hill, but one mountain was enough for me so I let the Big Boys (and Girl) go have fun and I turned around to head back to the car.

The one good thing about having a steep climb for the first 3 miles, is that this is the elevation for the last 3 miles:



Now THAT was fun. Unlike the trails, the road was fairly well lit so I could go down pretty quickly. My knees felt fine, my shins were fine, and it was just a great feeling to let gravity do all the work. I sort of regretted that I didn't try to continue on the run a little farther (and higher), but I think I did the smart thing. I've run a total of 9 miles since the marathon in early November, and I didn't want to hurt myself too much right away.

It was a good night.

4 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

I bet the downhill was a hell of a lot of fun.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Joy | Love | Chaos said...

To come off a climb (and descent!) like that and still be able to say "my knees felt fine, my shins were fine" is fantastic! Great run!

9:49 AM  
Blogger TRI Vortex said...

That is a crazy hill. The winds keep the trucks off the roads over here, so I think the gym is where I'm staying...safety first. Thanks again for all the info about The BOD. Turns out that my boss and his wife will be racing it with me. See ya around.

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't there blind winding curves on that hill? Hmm. I hadn't considered trying it. I'm just happy to run/walk up and down the occasional hill in my neighborhood.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home