Friday, August 05, 2011

Cups Runneth Over

A while ago, my Horrible Friend Steve called me up at work sounding very excited. He told me "meet me outside in 10 minutes...I have something for you." He drove over to my office and showed up with this:



This is a one pound package of peanut butter cups. It is not a bag of candy; it has 2 cups, each one weighing 1/2 pound. Steve thought it was the greatest thing ever, but I just looked at it in terror.

I was training for the Pasadena Marathon, and although I wasn't keeping a very strict diet this was completely off the scale. I knew that I would just have to hang on to it until after the race because it was going to make sick. People told me - in all seriousness - that I could simply cut off pieces of the peanut butter cups and basically nibble on them over the course of a week. Do these people even know me? I was pretty sure I could split the package into 2 servings, but there is no way I could ever eat only part of a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. Regardless of how big it was.

So the package taunted me for a while. But then, a few days after the race, I finally sat down to complete my mission. I would eat one peanut butter cup. Well, technically that's not true: in order to give a sense of scale for the photo, I bought a package of 2 standard peanut butter cups. I had to eat them first as sort of a warm-up, so I actually ate 3 cups.



Truthfully, the first half of the cup was a piece of cake (so to speak). I as wondering to myself why I was ever worrying about eating it. But about 3/4 of the way in, it started to hit me: that's a lot of chocolate and peanut butter. But I stayed the course and finished. And the next day, I downed the other one. Did I get sick from them? Not really, but I was very glad I wasn't doing any running for a few days.

Steve is a horrible friend.

1 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

Where does one buy this ambrosia??? Please introduce me to Steve! :-)

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home