Wednesday, October 13, 2010

IronMom

Full race reports coming soon, but I have to start with a story from the end of the race.

A couple years ago, when I was still new to triathlon, I did the New York City Olympic Triathlon. My mother lives in Jersey and she came out to watch the race. My mother is very emotional and easily excited, and after the race she told me she didn't think she could handle the excitement of watching another race.

She did not come to Coeur d'Alene, but was a nervous wreck all day long. When I told her I was doing Wisconsin, she told me "don't even tell me when it is. Just call me when it's over and tell me all about. I don't want to have to go through another day of worrying like last time." And I told here "that's fine, but if I ever make it to Hawaii you'll have to come out for that!"

When I won the lottery slot, we briefly talked about having her come out. But after I did the Hawaii half-Iron in June I uninvited her. Spectating an Ironman is hard work. There's a lot running around and a bunch of sitting in the sun, waiting. And after experiencing the heat and humidity of Hawaii, I knew there was no way she could handle it. All of that excitement in the hot sun? She'd be taken away in an ambulance from heat stroke for sure. I told her to stay home.

So, after doing about 140.5 miles of the race and entering the finishing chute, I saw the Wedgie Support Crew cheering me on. And there with them was my mom. As I ran by, I swear my head turned back 180 degrees trying to make sure it was really her.

The funny thing is that she was with the Support Crew watching the race all day and I never saw her. I would see my friends, and apparently my mother would be there essentially hiding in the bushes as I went by. Sneaky mom. After the race, I "yelled" at her for coming out since she couldn't handle the heat and stress. But then she was the one to put the finisher medal around my neck, which was very cool.

I love my Mom! 

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love Mama Pajaro!!!
-Steph

8:26 PM  
Anonymous jennifer said...

LOVE that story!! My mom is exactly the same way. She said almost the exact same words verbatim when I started triathlons this year. I sent her the link to this post with the email header "thought of you when I read this."

Here's what she replied:
"Now that is very cool indeed. brought tears to my eyes because I knew just how she felt!!!!!"

Looking forward to your race report. What an adventure! Congrats on finishing one of the toughest challenges on earth.

8:37 PM  
Blogger monica said...

tri moms rock. i think you remember the story of my mom giving me the kona sign up money even though i had no chance of qualifying. so glad to hear your mom was there for the big day!!! must be where you get your awesome iron spectating genes from ;-)

9:55 PM  
Blogger Pia [Kaukomara] said...

Congratulations! What an amazing surprise from your mother, lovely!

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home