Monday, August 04, 2008

East Coast Represents

Did you know people can actually have FUN in the ocean?

I've done a fair amount of ocean swimming, and I would rarely say it's "fun". But this week I'm staying at a beach house on the North Carolina Shore and it's a very different experience. To wit:

To go swimming in the Pacific, I typically wake up at 7am and drive 30-60 minutes to get to the beach.
In the Atlantic, I wander out of the house around 11:00 and walk 100 yards to the sand.

In the Pacific, I wear a wetsuit in the mid-60-degree water.
In the Atlantic, I wear my new swim trunks in the mid-80-degree water.

In the Pacific we fight against the rough surf to get to the smoother water farther out.
In the Atlantic, we walk through the smooth water to get the surf to play in.

In the Pacific, I have people yelling at me "you're swimming out to sea! Don't you know how to sight?!"
In the Atlantic, I have people yelling "come see the sights!"

The Pacific is filled with sharks, jellyfish, and sewage.
The Atlantic is filled with sharks and jellyfish.

East coast rocks.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I miss you. The workouts aren't the same. No pictures. It sucks.

Well, OGMP got some great pix of the wine tasting.

Still miss you though. Hope you are having fun.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*taps three fingers on chest then raises fist in solidarity*

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike-

My few recollections of the shore include jellyfish, sharks, sewage, and really,really titanically big hair. Hair so high it punched it's own hole in the ozone layer.

Not sure if you have that in Malibu.

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home