Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Ironman 2008

I guess playtime is over and I need to step up to the plate and do an Ironman next year. I just need to figure out which one.

The Axis of Evil is planning on doing Brazil in 2008. That would be an amazing trip. Some of them have done it before, and IronAndre even has relatives down there. However, international travel adds an entire new level of stress which I don't want to deal with. The Ironman is enough to worry about; I don't want to be thinking about losing my passport or getting sick on some foreign bacteria. I think I should stay domestic.

Logistically, Arizona would be the easiest race to do. It's the only Ironman I can drive to. The problem is that I hate the desert. I drove out to the far end of the bike course when IronmAnnie did it in April, and it looked awful. Just a straight dirt line through nothing. I don't see how she didn't go crazy. If I'm going to be miserable doing an Ironman, I might as well have a nice view.

I've been to Florida too many times already. If I do an endurance event in Florida, it will be the Walt Disney World Marathon, not an Ironman. Oddly enough, I've also been to Wisconsin more times than I care to remember. I have a friend who just moved to Kentucky; I could visit him and do Louisville, but Kentucky in August just doesn't sound like a pleasant place to be.

I would love to do Lake Placid. I lived in upstate New York for several years and the Adirondacks are beautiful. I just think that the Lake Placid Ironman is a little too hilly for my comfort. Yes, there is no such thing as an easy Ironman but there IS such thing as a hard one. Maybe not my first time out.

That leaves Coeur d'Alene. Aside from a 2-day trip to Portland, I've never been to the Northwest U.S. The course has lush, green trees and rolling hills. It has a cool freaky name that outsiders don't understand (Core de where?) A fellow tri-teammate's husband is planning on doing it, and there is some buzz that other tri-bloggers are interested. All this, and it will be one week before my 40th birthday.

So Coeur d'Alene 2008 is currently the frontrunner, which gives me about 55 weeks to get ready.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mister P.

Congrats on making the next step. I'm sure will be cycling with you now.

IMCDA is the most beautiful course I have ever done. But don't be fooled by what they are calling rollers. That second loop will get you. We'll talk.

Peace!

O.G. MP

4:04 PM  
Blogger rocketpants said...

Being from the Northwest originally, i'm partial to the area, but it is a nice area of the country as far as scenery.

Good luck in picking which IM.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Born To Endure said...

I did IMCDA last year..ohhhh, I think it was like 104F that day...it is pretty..windy, dry, very dry..and don't discount the hills there, they have plenty. It will be a great race though..it's your first right? Have fun if that's what you decide..

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh Yes. Good point Shelly. Last year IMCDA saw the second highest DNF rate (12 or nqux15%) outside of IM Wisconin (20%). Don't be discouraged though, it was unseasonably hot. I spectated the 2005 event and it was about 80 most of the day.

M.Paporatzo

3:00 PM  
Blogger TRI Vortex said...

I like the desert. Arizon or d'Alene. Those would be my 2. Of course I have to get over that whole training thing. Olympic this year. Half next year. Full Iron the year after...then...the WORLD! bua hahahaahaha

3:10 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

2005 IM CdA was my first Ironman and I LOVED it. I would give my vote for that one if you'r taking votes. But as has been said here already...prep for HILLS and HEAT and WIND. You will have plenty of both there. But it an outstanding venue!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Andre said...

Don't be a scrawny…. travel to a new destination, meet new people, you might even find a wife in Brazil... LOL. IM Brazil is a great race!
Andre - Axis of Evil

11:16 AM  
Blogger SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

I did AZ05 (hot, windy, sand blowing around), mostly flat. Also did Brazil06 (where we met Andre!) Can't beat the "destination race" appeal. Florianopolis is every bit the paradise Andre surely tells you it is.
You are right about the stress of international travel - it's a 30 hour trip involving 4 planes (the race is on an island south of Rio) so as you can imagine, the planes get smaller with each change, so don't throw a hissy fit if you don't get your bike for a couple days. The natives are working round the clock to get bikes to people - they really really really want you to love Brazil. Be nice to them - it's not their fault they live on a little island paradise that can't receive gigantic American planes filled with gigantic bike boxes. One of my seven travel buddies threw a fit and it was the most embarrassing thing ever. Anyway, Brazil was so awesome that on the plane home we all (well, 7 of 8) got a little weepy because we were waking from a perfect dream and couldn't stop that.
BUT --- there is a large group talking of CDA 08 (me included!)- so that's gotta have a lot of pull... ya know - having me there... ;-)

Jenny

5:30 AM  
Blogger Iron Pol said...

Hmmm, IM CDA. 55 weeks to get ready.

Only three weeks to decide.

Which is more difficult?

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home