Thursday, July 13, 2006

One Ring to Rule Them All

Crisis averted.

I shipped my bicycle to New Jersey, and it arrived just fine. Mostly. Four rings from the handlebars managed to slide off the rod and were floating loose in the shipping box. For some reason, I just couldn't figure out which order to slide them back together. It's too important to have my handlebars stay on my bike, so I thought I'd take it to a professional to have it done right. I brought it to the local bike shop and they said they'd have it ready for me in a week. Not good. I called two other places: ready by Wednesday. Ready by Tuesday. Yikes.

So what do I do whenever I have a bicycle emergency? I call Gerald! (if he wasn't so damn helpful maybe I'd stop bugging him.) I took photos of rings, planning to email them to Gerald and then call call him in a panic hoping he could talk me through the repair.



But then I decided I should be a grown-up for once and figure it out on my own. I went back to the bike, and eventually I think I got it put together. I took it out for a ride and nothing seemed to fall off so hopefully it's ok.

Bike rides out here are much better than in L.A. Note the lush greenery and the lack of traffic.


3 Comments:

Blogger Iron Pol said...

I'm a bit disturbed by an LBS that can have a person in town for a race with an obvious bike issue and not address the situation fairly immediately.

My LBS is pretty good at handling those type cases while the customer is standing right there in the store. And when I'm in no rush, I let them know, so they CAN worry about more immediate concerns.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Herself, the GeekGirl said...

C'mon: Empower yourself! Book:Zen and the art of roadbike maintanance.
Of course, I still haven't changed a tire by myself, but then, I've always given good advice and ignored it for myself. :-)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Nancy Toby said...

I'm surprised you're still with us and able to post!!! ;-)

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home