Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Big Finish



I always tell people "finish big!" It's something my father said all the time regarding musical performances but it certainly applies to racing. Whatever energy you have left for that last 1/10 mile, you need to get rid of it. Spectators at the finish line will have no idea you were sobbing like a girl in the port-a-potty 5 miles back; they'll only see the majestic ending to your race. And it just feels good running in strong with everyone watching your beautiful form.

The kind people at Safeway Foods sponsored free finish-line DVDs for everyone at the Santa Clarita Marathon (tiny shipping fee.) I thought that was very cool. But it's funny how the video doesn't quite show the same race I remembered. See, I recall speeding across that finish line with a beautiful long stride, my head held high, and my Fists of Power churning at my sides. Somehow the video tells a different story. Oddly enough, when they converted the video to DVD it made my arms look like they were made of jelly flapping away in the wind.

Because it's a small marathon, the announcer was able to call out of our individual names. The reason she has trouble reading my number must be because I was so fast, it was just a blur to her. The entire experience is summed up in the small grunt you hear right as I finish.

Mister P.'s Marathon Finish

4 Comments:

Blogger Iron Pol said...

Isn't it amazing how perspectives change. I can only imagine how brutal I've looked at the finish lines of some races. Particularly some of my earlier marathons.

And don't think you're the only one with the "Hey, they only see me here and don't know I walked the three miles before that last corner" theory.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Cliff said...

I heard that grunt. You still look finish strong. So if u were sobbing before the bend, no one really knows. :)

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at that form! Fantastic sprint, Mr. P.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

I dunno dude. You looked pretty strong there.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home